Jul 29, 2009

Real Men Cry

A while ago my good friend Bryce Fisher was telling me about this one time him and his wife were watching a movie. I don't remember which movie it was, but it was probably some feel good movie of the year because towards the end Bryce felt his eyes getting watery. He looked over at Megan and her eyes were as dry as the Sahara. After making fun of him for crying I confessed that I too cry at movies that most people don't cry at.

The first time this ever happened to me was when I was 12 or so at the end of the movie My Girl. I was watching it with my family, including my mother which is known for crying at really cheesy movie scenes, and I was the only one in tears. After telling this to Bryce we went on to list some of the movies that we're ashamed to have cried at. Some of the movies include:

  • My Girl
  • Armageddon
  • Bridge to Terabithia
  • Seven Pounds
  • U-571
  • Others which we're too ashamed to admit

Not all of these movies have turned our eyes into fountains, but have at least caused a few tears to fall when others were quite the opposite. 

I then told Bryce of a commercial that gets me every time I see it. I have to change the channel or else I will cry. Guaranteed. It the 2 minute ASPCA commercial with Sarah McLachlan. I'm not sure if it's the song, my affinity for animals, or subliminal messages but every single time I have watched that commercial my eyes get watery. Feel free to make fun of me for it but its a really sad commercial. It has all those poor dogs and cats that have been hurt. Watch the whole video and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can watch it here.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ASPCA commercial? Really? There are members of my family that may or may not start singing the lyrics to that Sarah McLachlan song, replacing words like 'angel' with 'puppy' ...Maybe I'll leave this anonymous so I don't get killed by animal rights people.

jenny said...

Don't you mean your boyfriend Bryce Fisher?

Shannan Monson said...

my whole family went to see 7 pounds and we all cried like babies. and then the movie ended and we were getting up to leave and i didn't see another wet eye in the whole theater. heartless. completely heartless. i'm proud of you collin.

Bryce said...

1) I am proud to admit my emotional sensitivity.

2) I sometimes wake up crying after sad dreams.

3) Stop linking me to that stupid extreme blog. People are starting to think that it's actually me.

More Bacon said...

I totally cried during Armageddon. Lots.

jenny said...

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at Bryce's "blog" and been weirded out. Okay I can. Like 5 times.

The American said...

Is that a good kind of weirded out? Or.. no?

jenny said...

Yeah sure... the good kind